Welcome to The Creative Writing Class Blog of Englit '45

The Shadow

Posted by Creating Class 2005 | Posted on Friday, November 28, 2008 | Posted in

When I was awake, I did know where I was. I could not recall what happened before I closed my eyes, I tried to remember but could not. It seemed that my mind was blank and there was no memory in my brain.

A woman entered my room by bringing me a breakfast. I did not know her because her face was strange to me. She put the food on the table beside my bed, after that, she went out of my room without saying anything. I got up from my bed and looked around my room.

I saw a girl standing beside the window who looks so pretty with her white skin, long black hair, and beautiful face but her countenance was pale. I noticed her trying to recognize her but I am not really acquainted with her. I approached her and tried to make conversation.

"I am bewildered what happened to me; I do not know why I am here in this room.” I said to open the conversation and expected that she could explain about what happened but there was no response from her, she just smile cynically. I could not understand about her cynical smile but I was sure that there was implicit meaning of it. I still noticed her pale face wondering about her presence in this room. "Do you know why I am here?” I tried to ask her and hoped that she would answer my question to tell me about what happened.

"Listen, everything what happened is because of you! I was trapped here because of you! You are the cause of what happened to you and me!” She answered my question angrily; it made me feel to be more confused. I could not think and recall what I did before I was not awake but there was still blank in my mind.
”I cannot understand what you said, why do you blame me happened? What thing that I committed making you implicated in my problem?” I asked her expecting that she would give me explanation about what she said to me. She looked at me angrily as if she would kill me.

”Follow me!” she asked me to follow her and hold my hand without asking my agreement to follow her or not. She brought me to a grave which its gravestone was carved a name that I think the name was not6 familiar to me, Claudia Smith (1988-2008). "Whose grave is it? Who is Claudia?" I was still confused but I did not want to ask my question to her. I tried to guess what it meant but I could not because I thought I did not know Claudia and my relation with her.

"Do not you remember her when she was alive?" she asked me as though she knew that I had ever known Claudia but I still did not remember anything. Before I found the answer of her questions, she urged me to follow her again to another lace. She brought me to the room again and asked me to notice a woman that brings me a breakfast but I thought she was strange to me.

"Do not you know why she did not say anything when she delivered breakfast to you?" she asked me as if I knew the answer but I was not able to answer it.
"Look at me!" She snapped. "Look at yourself! Do not you find the answer yet?" she urged me to answer all of her questions but I believed myself that I did not know it.

"Why do you do it to me? Why do you urge me to answer it? Why do not you tell me who I am and what happened to me? I cannot understand everything what happened to me? I do not know you! I do not the woman! I do not Claudia! Moreover I do not know myself!" I cannot restrain myself to say what I have on my mind for making her satisfied that I did not know everything what happened. I looked at her angrily and noticed her paler face, her hair was tousled, and her eyes became red. I was flustered to look her changing face. It made me afraid and I bent my head to avoid her cynical gaze.

She laughed uproariously knowing my fear. Then, she cried and laughed again. I could not interpret what she did.

"Do not you remember?” she asked me for reminding me my mistakes, " you have killed your sister, Claudia, for you are jealous of her beauty. You admired yourself but you did not want someone to be prettier that you. Moreover you have cut Ms. Mary's tongue, for she is the member of church chorus. You are the member of the chorus too but she is always chosen to be the best to sing the holy song because of her beautiful voice. You are very ambitious to make your self the number one of the others." She told me that I was an accused.

"Look at me and noticed me!" She snapped. "I AM YOU and YOU ARE ME, WE ARE ONE!" she emphasizes and let me think of what she said to me. I looked at her and noticed her pale face. I touched her face, she was trapped in the mirror, and it was my shadow. I approached her and touched her face; she smiled and whispered something to me. I smiled hearing what she said, I looked on her eyes but I thought it seemed that there was something loose from myself. I still disbelieved that she was me. I tried to make myself believe that she was me. I was crying, she was too, I was laughing, she was too, I was screaming, she was too but I could not understand why she cut her wrist by using razor blade. My wrist was bleeding but I still looked at her. She was smiling, and then she disappeared. I was crazy; I talk to my shadow in the mirror.

***

Comments (0)