Welcome to The Creative Writing Class Blog of Englit '45

My Terrible Holiday

Posted by Creating Class 2005 | Posted on Thursday, November 06, 2008 | Posted in

Holiday seems to be the precious day in my life. I can sleep, watch TV, play games and hang out with friends all the time without thinking of school task. I always feel excited if holiday comes.

But I couldn’t feel happy when I met holiday last month. I spent my holiday with crying and regretting. I didn’t know who the trouble maker is. It could be me or Dedi. I also didn’t understand the reason why I decided to break up my relation with him.

Before holiday, I had to finish my final test. The last test was Interpreting class. For your Information, Interpreting subject was my favorite subject. I was always got good scores in this subject.

But I think I can’t get good scores anymore. An hour before the test started, Dedi sent me SMS. He said he would ask me to come to his house to meet his mother. He would introduce me to his mother next week. Because of that, during the Interpreting class, my brain always asked many questions. “What am I going to wear? What about my hair? Should I wear it high or just let it loose?”

This was not fair. Dedi should have told me about this weeks ago. How could I prepare myself in so short a notice? Because my brain couldn’t stop thinking about tonight, I didn’t understand any single word that the lecturer said.

“Yayu, are you still with me? I’m waiting for the answer,” the horrible woman sitting in front of me asked, sounding annoyed.

“Oh, I’m sorry, Miss. could you repeat the question?”

The lecturer rolled her eyes and heaved a big sigh. “ You have been asking me to repeat my question so many times that I lost count, young lady. You can use a little concentration here. Or maybe you forget, you are now taking an oral test. So please pay attention to the speaker and stop daydreaming,” she said angrily. She stressed every syllable of her words.

Actually she was a nice lecturer. My attitude made her angry. She was right I couldn’t focus on this test. I guessed I would get bad scores this semester. I was glad after the test, I wouldn’t meet her at least for three months. So, after I failed to translate her next two questions, she impatiently sent me out. I took my test card and went to the door without even saying thank you or goodbye.

Next week, while I was putting on my make up, I couldn’t stop thinking again about Dedi’s mother, “Is she a sweet cake or a fierce dragon lady?” how I wish I didn’t have to through this.

After looking at my reflection in the mirror, I applied some more pearly-lilac eye shadow on my eyelids. As a final touch, I brushed some glittery baby pink lipstick on my lips. Then I checked my reflection in the mirror again. I looked perfect; perfect hair, flawless make up, tight-fitting burgundy sweater, black skirt, a matching handbag, and a pair of black leather boots.

I turned around twice, and suddenly I started to worry because again my brain asked, “ am I trying too hard? Am I overdressed? “ the doorbell cut off my reverie. It must be Dedi. Before I left my room, I sprayed some perfume behind my ears and on my wrists.

I went to the kitchen to say goodbye to my mom. She was busy stirring something in a pan.

“Mom, I’m leaving.” I gave her a kiss on the cheek and went to the front door.

“Take care, sweetheart. Good luck,” she said while she was stirring.

When I opened the front door, I saw the gorgeous guy on earth. Dedi is wearing a blue sweatshirt and a pair of cargo pants.

“Hi Yayu. You look great.”

“Thanks, you too,” I replied.

“Shall we? Do I have to say hi to your parents?”

“No, that’s OK. Mom is busy cooking and dad isn’t at home. Let’s go.”

We went to Dedi’s house by Dedi’s blue Honda Jazz.

When we were on the way, my heart beat fime times faster than usual.

“Are you OK, honey?” Dedi asked. “you look pale.”

“I’m fine,” I look at him adoringly. My Dedi looked very much like a gorgeous actor. Is he look like his mother or his father?, my brain again asked.

I remembered the first time we met. It was at the mall six month ago. I was waiting for a movie when dedi came over and introduced himself. I was very surprised and delighted at the same time.

He asked for my phone number and called me later that night. One week later we went out on a date. At the time, Dedi spoke a word of English. His English was very good. In fact, Dedi was the reason why I began learning English seriously. Now, of course, my English was getting better. Sometimes we spoke in English.

“So here we are,” dedi announced, he took me back to reality. After turning off the car, he got out and opened the car door for me. “ is he a gentleman or what!” my mind said.

“Let’s go inside.” He took my hand in his.

Inside the house, we were greeted by the barking dog. That was the biggest dog I have ever seen. I was really scared.

“Shut up, Scooby!” Dedi cried to the dog then looked apologetically at me. “Scooby is Mom’s pet. Don’t be scared by his size. He is actually tame and sweet/”

He took the dog away. “I’ll take him to the back yard. I’ll be right back,” he said. “Please sit down”

I went to the sofa and sat down. Before I got a chance to look around, a woman with Muslim veil entered the room and greeted me. “Hello. You must be Yayu. Nice to meet you.”

I stood up and shook her hand. “Hi. Nice to meet you too.”

I guessed she was Dedi’s mother. At that time I knew the reason why dedi was so gorgeous. He obviously got his looks from this beautiful woman. “ You have a lovely house, Mrs. Yohanah,” I tried to start the conversation.

“Well, thank you, dear. Too bad. This isn’t my house. I’m just visiting. And I’m not Mrs. Yohanah.,” she said.

I was really confused.

The lady smiled before she continued. “I’m Fitriah, Dedi’s aunt. Dedi’s father is my brother.”

“Oh, I’m so sorry.”

“That’s OK.”

Fitriah and I had a little chat. It was funny but I realized that I knew so little about Dedi. three years ago he lived in Samarinda and came to Bekasi six months ago. From Fitriah I learned that Dedi’s parents got divorce when he was six years old. Dedi moved to Samarinda with his father. And after his father passed away one year ago, dedi lived with Fitriah in Samarinda. Our talk was interrupted by the sound of footsteps behind us. Then came Dedi’s voice.

“I see you’ve met my aunt, Yayu. Now I’d like you to meet my mother. Mom, this is Yayu.”

I turned to greet Dedi’s mother. But when I saw who she was, the world seemed to stand still and time freezes. I felt feverish. Oh my God! She’s so much scarier than Scooby the giant dog! Dedi’s mother was someone who gave me Interpreting test this morning! She was Miss Lusi! I was speechless and really embarrassed.

Comments (0)