Welcome to The Creative Writing Class Blog of Englit '45

Grandma

Posted by Creating Class 2005 | Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2008 | Posted in ,

The sun spreads its warmness to the ground. It makes human beings, animals, and plants stay alive in this world. An old lady is sitting on the white bench in front of the big house and looking at the flowers which grow in the yard. Every morning she does it. She likes the shining sun in the morning.

While looking at some flowers, the lady also can see some people who walk in a narrow path in front of her gate house. Sometimes they greet the lady. She is very happy when people come to greet her. She often gives some vegetable or fruits for them whom visit her house. She doesn’t mind if people come to her house only for asking some fruit or vegetable. She plants some vegetable and fruit tree in the back garden. Many children play in the garden.

They like to eat fruit in the tree.


The sun is getting very hot. The old lady enters the house. She sits in the living room. There are some chairs and painting on the wall. The color of the room makes the atmosphere very silent. One thing that make it different, there is no picture of her family on the wall or on the cupboard. Only some statues stand next to the stairs.


“It’s time to tell a story.” Says the old lady.


She stands up and moves to the front of the big cupboard. She opens on of the drawers. Her hand goes inside the drawer taking a big book. She opens the book and reads it for a while then put it back. She closes the drawer then opens another drawer. There are many books inside it. She reads every book’s titles. She still hasn’t find the book that she want.


“I’m so sorry, dear. You have to wait. I will find the book. Just sit down.” Says the old lady.

No one answers.


She goes to the kitchen. She takes a small thin box then opens it. She uses a spoon to take some white powder from the box and pours it into the glass. She also pour some hot water. She shakes it using the spoon. She brings the glass of white liquid to the living room and put the glass on the table in front of a big sofa.


“I made a glass of milk. Be careful! It’s still hot.” Says the old lady.

After she puts the glass, she goes upstairs then enters the room. The room is very clean and tidy. The color of the room is blue and purple. There are many toys on a small cupboard, in the big yellow basket, and on the table. The pictures of cartoon movies cover the wall.

The old lady takes a teddy bear doll which sits on the bed with its friends. Then she goes back to the sofa in the living room.


“This is your lovely Teddy bear. Hey…the glass is still full. You haven’t drunk the milk yet, right? It’s bad. You know, the milk is very sweet. It’s good for your health. I will look for the story book and I want you to drink it all down. OK!” says the old lady.


She leaves the teddy bear alone and goes to another room.


“There it is!” says the old lady. “Dear…I found it!” the old lady run to the sofa and sits on it.

“I found it, Dear; this is a story from America. The story is about a boy who realy likes fishing.”

Then the old lady starts to read the story.


“No! I haven’t read the book yet. I want to wear my glasses first. I can’t read the written without it. If you want to be a good story teller, please tell something factual about me.” Says the old lady. Hey eyes is looking at the sky.


“Dear…Listen to the story.”Says the old lady to the teddy bear.

“One day in Antarctica, there was an Eskimo boy, named Pingi. He lived with his parents. He was good at fishing. His parents are very proud of him. Unfortunately, whenever he was fishing, he forgot about anything else. He always ignored his parents who asked him for help.”

The old lady stops reading for a while. She fixes her glasses.


One day, Pingi’s father got seriously ill and the family was running out of firewood. Pingi’s mother asked Pingi to get the firewood in the forest. Pingi went to the forest to get the firewood. On the way home, he saw a lot of fish in the river. He put the fire wood down and started fishing there. He got many fish. After some time, he was hungry and then she grilled the fish with the firewood. There was no firewood left. Pingi went home empty-handed. His mother was very angry. The father then died because of cold weather. Then Pingi’s mother chased him away. She cursed Pingi become an animal which really like catching fish.” The eyes of the old lady drop some tears. She opens the glasses. She closes her face with her hands. She is crying for a long time.


“I miss my son…he left me alone here. I need him. I don’t know why he didn’t understand!”

After some time, the old lady wipes off her tears with a handkerchief.

“Do you like the story, dear…?” says the old lady to the teddy bear.


“I know you also miss your father. I promise he will be back. He just lost his way. One day, he will understand and go back here. Because of that, you have to be a good son for him. He will be proud of you if he sees his son become a smart boy.” The old lady looks at the glass of milk. “Hey… you don’t drink your milk. Are you bored with the flavor? I will buy some milk in the nearest store. Which flavor do you like? Yesterday, I watched a milk advertisement. There is milk which has many flavors. There are chocolate, strawberry, orange, and grapes. Oh… I will buy all of the flavors so you can choose your favorite milk at home. Wait for me I’ll be back as fast as possible.”


She takes her purse and an umbrella. She lock the door. She walks to the store with following the narrow path.


“Could you leave me alone? Please don’t always follow me! Stay at home and take care of my grandson. It’s better than following me to the store and telling about my activity all the time. Oh…I forgot. That’s your job as someone who always speaks.”


On the way to the store, the lady meets some people who are talking under the big tree. They stop talking when they see the old lady. One of them greets the lady respectfully.

“Where are you going, Madam?” says the mean who is wearing glasses on his head..
“I’m going to the store to buy some milk for my grandson. Why do you wear the glasses on your head? It should be in front of your eyes.” Says the lady to the man. “ you look like a Looney man.” Add the old Lady.

Then she leaves them and continues walking to the store.

“I’m not crazy! In fact she is crazy now. Everybody knows that her grandson passed away one year ago.” Says the man

“Don’t say that, maybe she is lonely because of that. You know, she chased her son away because he always played gambling. He gambled away his entire worldly possessions until he became bankrupt. He left his wife and his son. The old lady then asked them to live with her. Six months after her son left. Her grandson passed away because he got poisoned after drinking milk. His mother was very shock because the milk is made by her. The old lady couldn’t accept this. She started to be crazy after that,” says the man who has long nose.


“Where do you know about that?

“I worked at her house as a servant but I quit two years ago. She always talks to her self. Sometimes I see her like talking to a child. She also likes reading story about a boy who ignore his mothers. All of he story books have the same theme.” Whispers the long nose man.

“Really? Poor the old lady.” Says the woman who listen to the man.

The old lady arrives at home. She puts the paper bag on the table in the kitchen.
“Could you tell an interesting story than this? I don’t like it. I want the plot of this story make people laugh. That will be a great story. A story about lonely old lady because her family was killed is boring. People can find a hundred stories like this in every book store.” Says the old lady.

“But I want a story like this. I think a story about lonely old lady is more qualified than comedy. You are only a character! Just follow the flow. Don’t claim! You cannot change the theme.” Says the mysterious sound.


“As the only one character, I mind if I take role on this story. Find another cast to continue this story. I quit!” Says the old lady. She starts to be angry.

Comments (0)